Did you know that the second Thursday of March marks the day when popcorn lovers unite? That’s right – today is Popcorn Lovers Day, not to be confused with National Popcorn Day, which takes place annually on January 19.
In honor of this poptastic day, we found a few fun facts about America’s favorite snack food that you may not already know:
- A cup of plain popcorn contains only 31 calories.
- Surprisingly, 70 percent of popcorn sold in the US is eaten at home. Only 30 percent is eaten at movie theaters, stadiums and carnivals.
- Popcorn kernels can pop up to 3 feet in the air!
- Americans eat more popcorn than residents of any other country. Approximately 17 billion quarts of popcorn is consumed each year.
- Both the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, formerly known American Dietetic Association, and American Diabetes Association agree that popcorn can be exchanged for bread for people on weight control diets. (We probably don’t have to tell you, but this is our favorite fun fact! Learn more about our Community Diabetes Education)
- Popped popcorn comes in two shapes, “snowflake” and “mushroom”. Typically, you’ll find snowflake-shaped popcorn at movie theaters because they are larger in size.
- There are about 1600 popcorn kernels in one cup.
- Evidence shows that popcorn existed as early as 4700 B.C., making it one of the oldest forms of corn.
Popcorn Lovers Day is a fairly new holiday, created by Bob Matthews of Rochester, New York, on January 6, 2012. The reason? It was Bob’s favorite snack, and he, and his wife would eat it most Thursdays all year long.
We understand, though, for as many real popcorn lovers, there are also plenty of people who only like or tolerate popcorn. We think you deserve to celebrate, too! You can enjoy a fun treat with just a hint of popcorn all while showcasing your Lions Pride with Lion Cupcakes. Simply place a few pieces of popped corn along the edge of your favorite cupcake recipe and add a face. We bet your fellow Lions and Lionesses would love a snack at your next meeting, even if it isn’t technically on Popcorn Lovers Day.
Whether you are a popcorn lover or just a casual snacker who likes a handful of popped corn every now and again, we hope you enjoy Popcorn Lovers Day!