Is it just us, or has this week been downright autumn-like? The low 70-degree days we’ve been seeing has been a welcome change, compared to the previous excruciatingly hot weather. The cooler temperatures allow us to make a couple pleasant changes, like turning off the air conditioner, opening back up the windows and baking something delightful in the oven.
Last Saturday, August 1, was Homemade Pie Day. Although we may be a few days behind, we don’t think it’s too late to celebrate. Let’s commemorate America’s favorite homemade dessert with fun facts to raise your Pie-Q:
- Apple pie is often promoted as an American staple, but the first written Apple Pie Recipe is actually believed to have been written in England in 1381.
- Pie is most commonly known as a dessert, but up until the 19th Century, fruit pies were seen as a popular breakfast item.
- In 2008, Crisco and the American Pie Council surveyed Americans on their favorite types of pieces:
- 19% prefer apple pie.
- 13% prefer pumpkin pie.
- 12% prefer pecan pie.
- 10% prefer banana cream pie.
- 9% prefer cherry pie.
- 1 out of 5 people admits having eaten an entire pie by themselves.
- Not all pies were not just for eating. The wet bottom molasses pie known as the Shoo-fly Pie was used to attract flies from the kitchen, though the origin may never be completely known.
- There is a theory that your favorite pie is an indicator of your personality. If you love:
- Apple pie, then you are independent, realistic and compassionate.
- Pecan pie, then you are thoughtful and analytical.
- Chocolate pie, then you are loving.
- Pumpkin pie, then you are funny and independent.
What is your favorite type of homemade pie? Let us know in the comments below!
Take this cooler weather as an opportunity to spend some time in the kitchen, making your favorite pie. Happy Homemade Pie from Lions Pride!