Let’s play a guessing game! We’ll use a few characteristics to describe a loved one and we want to see if you can determine who it is we’re talking about. This special someone likely has four legs; can make you smile even after the roughest day and is always there for you – both literally and figuratively. Who are we talking about? Your pet, of course!
This Saturday, February 20, Is National Love Your Pet Day, a day to celebrate your most loyal companion. In honor of National Pet Day, we’ve compiled a list of interesting fun facts that you might not already know about your best friend:
- You may have heard that yawning is contagious, but did you know that it can actually be triggered between species? Research shows that dogs are more likely to yawn if they see their owner yawn first.
- Like a human fingerprint, a dog’s nose print is unique.
- You may have noticed that dogs often curl up in a ball when sleeping. This evolutionary habit is thought to be rooted in their DNA. When dogs primarily slept outside in the wild, they would sleep in a ball to conserve their body heat as well as to protect their vital organs from predators.
- Believe it or not, dogs really do have a sense of time. They get used to regular routines and know when it’s time to eat or go for a walk.
- Despite popular belief, domesticated cats are more closely related to a puma or lynx rather than a lion or tiger.
- Cats have the ability to rotate their ears up to 180 degrees.
- Human brains and cat brains have a lot in common. In fact, studies show that the structure of a cat’s brain is 90 percent similar to ours.
- Once cats reach maturity, they typically only meow at humans. Meanwhile, they will hiss, purr and spit at other cats.
- Rabbits have similar grooming patterns to cats. They clean themselves by licking their paws.
- Goldfish can see more colors than a human. In addition to red, blue and yellow, they can see a fourth color which allows them to see ultraviolet light.
Whether you own a dog, cat or another special creature, there is just no denying the positive impact they have on our lives. Be sure to take the weekend to give them a little extra loving.
Happy Love Your Pet Day from Lions Pride!