active duty, air force, armed forces day, army, canadian armed forces, chapter, coast guard, community, event, holiday, lci, lions pride, marines, may, memorial day, navy, patriotism, press release, sacrifice, veteran, vfw, weekend
If we were to ask you what the most patriotic month of the year is, how would you respond? You’d probably say July; it’s a no-brainer. But what about the second most patriotic month? We’d say May.
This month, we’ve already celebrated Armed Forces Day on May 19, and Memorial Day is right around the corner. Veterans gave a major sacrifice when they chose to enlist, but often, their eagerness to make a difference does not end when they complete their term. Many look to get involved at a local level, which could make Lions the perfect fit.
Veterans have so much to offer to any organization. They have a strong sense of dedication and commitment, have a keen sense of leadership and know precisely what it means to be a part of a team. That’s why LCI created the Involve a Veteran Program. From now until June 30, 2018, qualifying veterans have the chance to join a Lions club with an entrance or charter fee waiver. Eligible veterans include Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard personnel as well as the Canadian Armed Forces who retired or were honorably-discharged from their service. National Guard and Reserve personnel who were called to active duty are also eligible.
When inviting veterans to join your Lions Club, consider trying one of these simple recruiting ideas:
- Drop off brochures at your local Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) clubs. You might be surprised to learn how many chapters exist in our state!
- Exhibit at a local Veteran community event. Be sure to check out the Wisconsin Department of Veteran Affairs Events page and watch your local newspaper.
- Use the press release template to attract local media attention.
- Take the opportunity to thank Veterans on your social media pages. Memorial Day would be an excellent day to express your gratitude for their service – you never know who might stumble across your post.
- Start a new project and invite Veterans to join in on the fun.
It’s not too late! Join the over 700 clubs that have taken advantage of the Involve a Veteran program and give veterans the opportunity to continue serving, as a Lion.
The Lions Pride Office will be closed on Monday, May 28, to honor those who bravely served our country and made the ultimate sacrifice. We’d like to wish you all a fun, safe holiday weekend!