advantages, cataracts, collection, darkness, donation, drive, erc, eyeglass recycling center, health, june, light, lions pride, macular degeneration, rosholt, skin cancer, summer, vision council, wisconsin
Sunday, June 27 is National Sunglasses Day 2021, courtesy of the Vision Council! Although they may not be necessary on a stormy day like today, there are several advantages to putting on your shades before heading out the door:
- They prevent your eyes from developing sun-related health issues, including cataracts, skin cancer and macular degeneration.
- They protect your eyes from the elements such as dust, wind and sand.
- They lead to more comfortable vision by allowing you to see without having to squint.
- They make it easier to adapt from light to darkness.
- Lastly, they are fashionable! By putting on a pair of sunglasses, you can instantly look and feel like a movie star.
If you’re interested in sporting a new pair of sunglasses, but don’t want to add to your collection, the Eyeglass Recycling Center in Rosholt can help cut down on your clutter. The ERC is only one of 18 other facilities in the world. It serves as a place to process used eyeglasses (including sunglasses) that are usually collected in containers placed in public spaces around Wisconsin and neighboring states.
Annually, over 500,000 pairs of used eyeglasses are processed at the ERC and sent on missions to developing countries around the globe. Sunglasses can be helpful for those living in hot climates, and children’s sunglasses are especially desirable.
There are many ways to get your old sunglasses to the recycling center:
- Find a collection site near you by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Donate your individual pair by sending them to Eyeglass Recycling Center at 3834 County Road A, Rosholt WI 54473
- Help others also cut down on their clutter by organizing a collection drive of your own
Remember, the future is bright, so don’t forget your sunglasses. Happy National Sunglasses Day from Lions Pride!